Sports

Everton would love "full disclosure" from PL in regards to the metropolis's transfer

everton-would-love-full-disclosure-from-pl-in-regards-to-the-metropoliss-transfer

Everton will seek "full disclosure" of Premier League information after Manchester City's game was postponed due to a growing Covid-19 outbreak in the city's squad.

The game was abandoned at 4 p.m. on Monday – four hours before kick-off at Goodison Park – after Manchester City recorded further positive tests for coronavirus.

On Christmas Day, City announced that Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker, along with two club employees, had tested positive. The club has now closed its training ground for the first team, which is undergoing a thorough cleaning.

After Aston Villa against Newcastle earlier this month, it will be the second Premier League game this season to have been canceled due to a coronavirus outbreak. A number of English Football League (EFL) games during the Christmas season have also been postponed due to coronavirus outbreaks. Another seven games were scored on Monday.

Everton, who would have come to the top of the table with a win at Liverpool, will be asking the Premier League for clarification on how the decision to postpone the game, given the timing and the fact that they were told the game did not take place, was consulted as part of the process.

"Everton Football Club regrets the postponement of today's game against Manchester City – not only for the 2,000 fans who participated, but also for fans on Merseyside and around the world," the club said in a statement.

"Our players were prepared for the game, as were the team and everyone at Goodison. Matchday is the most important date on our calendar. And it was a big date.

"While Everton will always put public safety first, we will require full disclosure of all information that Manchester City has provided to the Premier League so that the club can clearly see why this decision was made."

Picture:
Manchester City announced on Christmas Day that Gabriel Jesus (pictured) and Kyle Walker along with two employees had tested positive

Manchester City will be in action at Chelsea on Sunday before facing Manchester United in the Carabao Cup semi-finals on Wednesday 6 January. They defeated Newcastle 2-0 on the second matchday.

A Manchester City statement said: "After the last round of Covid-19 testing, the club returned a number of positive cases in addition to the four cases reported on Christmas Day.

"With the safety of the bladder at risk, there was a risk that the virus could spread further through the squad, staff, and possibly beyond.

"Following strong medical advice, the Premier League, in consultation with both clubs, decided to postpone the game.

"In all positive cases involving players and staff, a period of self-isolation will be followed in accordance with the Premier League and UK government quarantine protocol. The first team training ground at City Football Academy will indefinitely with the squad and associated bubble Time closed testing before deciding to restart training.

"Everyone at the club wishes all colleagues a speedy recovery before returning to work, training and competition."



Thumbnail




2:57

WATCH FOR FREE: Highlights of Manchester City's Premier League win against Newcastle.

Manchester City's players will be retested for Covid-19 on Tuesday and the test results will determine if the Chelsea game is possible.

City believe the breakout came from their trip to London for the Carabao Cup quarter-finals against Arsenal on December 22nd, though the Gunners are not to blame.

London was added to Tier 4 coronavirus restriction on Sunday 20th December after a new, more infectious strain of coronavirus was discovered to increase infection rates in London and the South East.



Thumbnail




3:00

WATCH FOR FREE: Highlights from Everton's Premier League win over Sheffield United.

A Premier League statement released Monday afternoon said: "Manchester City today requested the Premier League to rearrange the game after the positive Covid-19 test results the club received this morning in addition to the one Cases reported on Christmas have risen day

"This increase has created uncertainty and the Premier League board received medical advice that the game should be postponed. The board has agreed to reorganize the game as a precautionary measure. Further testing will now take place on Tuesday.

"The decision was made with the health of the players and staff alike. The Premier League continues to have full confidence in its protocols and rules and in the way all clubs implement them.

"The League wishes those with COVID-19 a safe and speedy recovery and will rearrange the postponed game against Everton in due course."



Roy Hodgson




1:06

Roy Hodgson, head of Crystal Palace, says it is impossible to fully protect people from Covid, despite the strict protocols in place.

EFL and National League hit by Covid

Doncaster's next three League One games have been suspended. Rochdale and Morecambe announced that their next two games have been postponed while five games on Monday in the National League fifth division could not take place.

Rochdale's next two League One games, which Crewe will play at MK Dons 'home on Tuesday and Saturday, will be played by hosts' players and staff, forced to self-isolate.

League Two Morecambe was scheduled to play in Bolton on December 29th and Bradford on January 2nd.

The National League games at Barnet, Boreham Wood, Chesterfield, Dagenham & Redbridge and Sutton were postponed Monday after positive tests were returned at various clubs.

Rotherham's championship game with Barnsley continues on Tuesday, but boss Paul Warne said the coronavirus-hit Millers are only completing the game to avoid a possible point deduction.

The EFL remains confident of dealing with the increasing number of games to be postponed due to coronavirus cases.

0 Comments
Share

Steven Gregory