Nashville Police ID man is investigating downtown bomb assault


Rescue workers work near an explosion site in downtown Nashville, Tennessee, Friday, December 25, 2020. Buildings shook in the immediate area and beyond after a loud boom was heard early Christmas morning.

Mark Humphrey | AP

Nashville police say a Tennessee man named Anthony Quinn Warner is being investigated in connection with the Christmas Day bombing that rocked downtown Nashville.

Metro Nashville Police Department spokesman Don Aaron confirmed Warner's identity on Sunday. Federal and state investigators are trying to find out who dropped a bomb in a recreational vehicle on Friday morning, injuring three people and damaging more than 40 companies. They are also working to identify human remains found at the crime scene.

Separately, a police officer told The Associated Press that federal investigators have begun investigating Warner's digital footprint and financial history. They are also investigating a recent transfer of a house in suburban Nashville.

The officer was unable to publicly discuss the case and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The official said forensic analysts are reviewing the evidence gathered by the site of the explosion to try to identify the components of the explosive and are also reviewing information from the U.S. bomb data center for information and investigative leads.

Federal agents are investigating a number of potential clues and pursuing various theories, including the possibility that an AT&T building has been targeted. The bomb caused damage that affected communications in several states.

AT&T announced Sunday that service has been diverted to other facilities while the company works on restoring the building.

The company said in a statement Sunday morning that cellular service has been restored in many areas affected by the blast. The company is providing resources to restore affected wired voice and data services and expects to have 24 additional trailers of disaster recovery equipment on site by the end of the day.

The building's commercial power connections were damaged and taken out of service after a bomb exploded in a recreational vehicle parked nearby on Friday morning. Customers lost communication not only in Tennessee, but also in states like Kentucky, Alabama, and Georgia.

The company states that four floors of the building have been restored to electricity. While three feet of water were pumped from the building's basement on Saturday, access to the lower floors is still limited. Elevators, beams and columns and the building's facade were also damaged.


Steven Gregory