Son and Kane bond once more to beat Burnley
Heung-Min Son and Harry Kane bonded again when Tottenham finally found a way through a stubborn Burnley defense to win 1-0 at Turf Moor on Monday night.
Son scored the winning goal with Spurs' first attempt at goal in the 76th minute and went home impressively after Kane's shot from a corner.
It was the 29th time the Spurs duo teamed up for a Premier League goal, finishing second on the competition's all-time list behind former Chelsea pair Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard. This was the second major intervention by Kane made a goal-line clearance to deny James Tarkowski moments earlier.
Tottenham move up to fifth with the win, while Burnley remains in the relegation zone with just one point from his five league games this season.
Premier League best goal combinations ever
|combination||team||Goals combined for|
|Drogba & Lampard||Chelsea||36|
|Kane & Son||Tottenham||29|
|D Silva & Aguero||Man City||29|
|Pires & Henry||arsenal||29|
Burnley: Pope (6), Lowton (6), Long (7), Tarkowski (7), Taylor (6), Gudmundsson (6), Brownhill (7), Westwood (6), McNeil (6), Barnes (6 )), Wood (7).
Subs used: Rodriguez (n / a), Vydra (n / a)
Tottenham: Lloris (7), Doherty (6), Alderweireld (7), Dier (7), Davies (6), Sissoko (6), Hojbjerg (7), Ndombele (7), Moura (5), Sohn (8 )), Kane (8).
Subs used: Lamela (7), Lo Celso (6), Rodon (n / a)
Man of the Match: Harry Kane (Tottenham)
How Tottenham won at Turf Moor
Tottenham had gone into this round as the Premier League top scorer after scoring 11 goals in their first two away games this season. However, they struggled to go a long way in the first 45 minutes against their determined and determined hosts who had done so. Josh Brownhill booked for a challenge on Tanguy Ndombele in just 63 seconds.
Spurs missed a shot on goal in the first half and their defender Toby Alderweireld was injured with a cut over the right eye after a head-on colliding with Ashley Barnes, as Jose Mourinho predicted before the game, so look forward to a rough night.
Burnley – without a win in their last four Premier League games this season – hit the net in the 20th minute as Barnes shot home, but the offside flag was rightly raised against the striker before Ashley Westwood Spurs & # 39; Keeper Hugo Lloris forced a low, full hit -stretch save just before the break from the edge of the box.
- Matt Lowton replaced Erik Pieters in Burnley's only change in their line-up.
- For the visitors, Gareth Bale's wait for a start in the Premier League continued, but Eric Dier, Ben Davies, Matt Doherty and Lucas Moura all moved to a draw with West Ham last Sunday.
Even after the break, the chances did not flow freely. Chris Wood saw a distracted drive skim while Tottenham only had one touch in the Burnley box for the first 15 minutes of the second half.
There was a hiatus for Eric Dier as he kicked the ball into Wood and the referee gave handball to the Burnley man when he reached the goal before Kane showed his defensive awareness and made his crucial clearance to fend off Tarkovsky's shot on goal.
Ben Davies was about to hit Erik Lamela's cross at the back post and Kevin Long expertly denied Son after being played through by Ndombele as Spurs increased their intensity and it was the South Korean who broke through at 15 minutes play.
Lamela's corner was nodded into the six-yard box by Kane, and Son dipped his superb header into the corner – the ninth time these two attackers have teamed up for a Premier League goal in 2020/21.
Argentina international Lamela could have made it a comfortable final for the visitors, but he missed his volley right at Nick Pope. But in the end – again – Son and Kane made sure that Spurs got the three points.
- Burnley has won just one of their last 24 home games in the Premier League against the "Big Six" (D4 L19), a 2-1 win against Tottenham in February 2019.
- Tottenham have kept clean sheets in all competitions, having failed to shut out in 10 games dating back to last season.
- In his entire career as a manager, José Mourinho has not played without defeat against any other team than Burnley (10 – W6 D4) and won five of his six away games against the Clarets (D1).
- Tottenham lost just one of their last 12 Premier League games on Monday (W9 D2) and lost 1-0 to Man City in October 2018.
- Tottenham's Harry Kane has been directly involved in 13 goals this season, the most ever scored by a player in the first six Premier League games of the season (5 goals, 8 assists).
- Tottenham forward Harry Kane has made eight assists in six Premier League games this season, the most he has ever scored in a single competition campaign.
- Tottenham duo Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min have scored 29 goals in the Premier League, with only Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard scoring more goals (36).
- Josh Brownhills booking for Burnley after 63 seconds was the earliest in a Premier League game since Scott McTominay for Manchester United against Newcastle in December 2019 (24 seconds).
Burnley welcomes Chelsea to the Premier League at 3pm on Saturday. Spurs will travel to Antwerp on Thursday at 5:55 p.m. in the Europa League, before hosting Brighton in the Premier League on Sunday at 7:15 p.m. – live at the Sky Sports Box Office.